Friday, August 12, 2011

Mobilization Chemotherapy

Day 3: We arrived at the BMTU around 0700 where we were greeted and put into a room. The nurse came in and said that they didn't have a bed for me at the moment because of an unexpected admission during the night. She said they would be able to start the chemo in the outpatient room. She then started my IV fluids at 236cc/hr. I guess they really wanted me to be hydrated. I was also started on a Dopamine drip to keep me from going into fluid overload. Mark got us breakfast and we just hung out until they begain "pre-meds" around 1100. I got a dose of Zofran and Solumedrol and at noon the chemo began. The first drug was the VP-16 (Etoposide) and it infused over 2 hours. The worse part of this drug was the metallic taste it left in my mouth. The best way I can explain it is that taste you have in your mouth after leaving the dentist. You know, the taste that comes from the gloves and floss they use.

Around 430pm I got my room. It was nice and spacious. Mark immediately requested a different recliner. The upright flowery pattered chair wasn't going to do it for him. Soon after my nurse David began the second drug, Cytoxan. This drug can cause heart problems so I was connected to telemetry and my vitals were monitored during the 2 hour infusion and for 1 hour after. That damn machine beeped the whole time, I thought it was pretty funny. Later my night nurse Kaci disconnected me and I took a walk and then worked on crocheting Allie's blanket. Later I attempted to sleep. Between vitals being take every 4 hours and having to urinate every 1-2 hours, I got no sleep.

Day 4: After change of shift David came in and did his assessment and let us sleep until like 1130. The day went by pretty fast. I got my second dose of VP-16. It was the last of the chemo but I had to stay until the next day for hydration. I enjoyed the hospital dinner of blackeyed peas, macaroni and cheese, corn, and salad. It was actually pretty good. Kaci stopped the Dopamine drip and instantly the urinating every 1-2 hours stopped. I enjoyed a pretty good night sleep.

Day 5: After seeing Dr. Salzman, David came in and disconnected my fluids. I was free from the IV pole!! lol. About 45 minutes later I got my discharge paperwork and we were on our way home!

Life has been great since we have been home! I haven't really had any fatigue or side effects. This chemo was much better than the last. I began the Neulasta shots and they have went well. I haven't had any flu-like symptoms or bone pain. Today was day 6 of the shots. A friend advised me to take Claritin while on the shots to counteract the flu-symptoms. I don't know if it is the reason for my doing so well but I'll give it some credit! I've been on neutropenic precautions since Thursday but it hasn't been that bad. I just have to be very careful of what I eat and can't really go out in public places.

We have to go back on Monday for labs and to begin the stem cell collection process. I'm hoping it will only take one day. I'm excited to be getting closer and closer to getting all of this done so I can go back to normal life. Thanks for the continued prayers and support!

No comments:

Post a Comment