Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Part 1: Consents and Permcath Placement

Day 1: Last Tuesday we traveled our nice 2 1/2 hour drive to Birmingham for the purposes of having my Permcath placed and having chemotherapy. It always sucks leaving Allie but I knew it would be over in no time. Upon arrival to the Bone Marrow Transplantation Unit (BMTU) I was greeted, had my vital signs and weight taken, and was asked to wait in one of the rooms. Over the past few years, I have learned a lot about myself. One thing is that at times I don't have a lot of patience which leads me to speaking my opinion and not caring who is around. After about an hour of waiting I kindly asked the lady at the desk what were we waiting on. She responded, "The doctor but your appointment isn't until 11:00 and it will be a little while after that. At this point it's like 10:00, meaning we got there when I thought the appt was at 9:00. As mentioned above, I don't have a lot of patience and I let the lady have a piece of my mind. Probably wasn't the right thing to do but she understood when I apologized to her. I think it was because I really didn't want to be there in the first place and I hate waiting hours for a doctor and feeling like just a number. Also, we got up at the crack of dawn to get there on time which added to the time away from home and my Allie. Just frustrating. Mark suggested we go get a Starbucks drink and after enjoying my luscious White Chocolate Mocha we made it back by 11:00.

Later on, around 12:00 or so the Nurse Practioner, Christine walked in and asked a ton of questions. I could probably answer them all in my sleep by now. I met Dr. Salzman, who is lovely. And with the both of them there, I signed a consent for the collection of my stem cells and 2 others for purposes of keeping records and statistical data. That was it. All of that waiting for 30 minutes of signing papers and reviewing my medical history. So, off to the UAB townhouse it was.

First I must say how grateful I am to UAB for the free townhouse to stay at during our many upcoming trips to Birmingham. It makes life easier when you don't have to fork out tons of money each time you come over for a hotel room. Food and parking is expensive enough. However, upon arrival to the UAB "townhouse" i realized right away that it wasn't going to be the Marriott. We walked in and went to our room #606. When we walked into the room there was a table and chairs, a small kitchen, a bed, a desk and bathroom. The motel like comforter, the sideways photo above the bed, and the whop sided recliner were too much for me. And did I mention the roach catchers in every corner. LOL. Mark and I couldn't help but laugh and just take it all in. The best part was looking out of our window and seeing a Marriott and Doubletree across the street. Again, I am very greatful and know that there are many people who would consider this place a palace but it was just different from what we are used to. Later on that night I felt bad for feeling this way at all after seeing the many homeless people around downtown Birmingham. I felt so selfish and stupid. When we arrived back at the townhouse, I realized that it wasn't that bad and I had a bed to sleep in. It made me sad to think of the man that I had just saw on the corner. I just wanted to share the irony of the situation and remind everyone to be thankful for what you have because I promise that there are many who have it way worse and would love to be standing in your shoes.

Day 2: I woke up to the sounds of the city. It was 0630 and we had to be at the hospital by 0700. We arrived on time and went to Interventional Radiology as my paper said. After registering and waiting for 45 minutes, the girl at the desk told me that I would need to go to the BMTU and they would get me set up there. Again, I'm furious but this time I just say a few un nice words to myself and let it go. Mark and I then go to the BMTU. There they take my vitals, stab me in the chest (access my power port), and the transporter took me to IR. The procedure only took about 45 minutes but I was awake the whole time! I swear Versed is not what they make it out to be. I remember everything. From the time I got on the surgery table, the doctor numbing my neck, pushing the catheter in, me asking for more meds, and him sewing me up. The worst part was feeling the catheter (permcath) going into my neck, its an undescrible feeling. This is the catheter that will be used for stem cell collection and then for chemo and whatever else during the BMT. I feel for my patients who have to get a Permcath. It feels like a rod sticking out of your chest. Imagine a tube the size of a pencil tunneled under your skin and then left to hang out. Not a fun image, huh.

I only waited in the recovery room for about 5 minutes before being wheeled back to the BMTU. There I got my paperwork and was ready to leave. Then I felt the nausea. I think having no food and the fact that my neck and chest hurt are what caused the nausea. I popped a Compazine and after a cool washcloth and laying down for a few minutes, Mark and I bounced. LOL. On the way back to our lovely townhouse, my dear husband stopped at Guthries and got me some chicken fingers and fries. He knows me too well. I have been devastated since the Columbus Guthries closed down a couple years ago. Once back to the townhouse, I ate, took a pain pill, and slept for what seemed like forever. I woke up around 7pm.

I was determined to get my booty out of bed and not just sit there all night (plus I had heard about this Vera Bradley store that I was dying to check out). Mark and I went to an outdoor mall that was amazing. I didn't get anything at the Vera Bradley store because it turned out to be not that great. However, I did visit the Brighton store where I bought myself 4 charms for my bracelet. Dinner was at the Cheesecake Factory. It was amazing. We decided to get a piece of the red velvet cheesecake to go. It was the best thing that I think I have ever tasted. Needless to say, we will be going back there on our next trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment