Sunday, October 16, 2011

MD Anderson visit

MD Anderson Cancer Center
I wanted to check in and give you all an up date on our vist to MD Anderson. We left home around 9am on Sunday morning October 9th. It took us about 11 hours to get there. The driving wasn't bad at all. Once we got settled in our hotel room we decided to search for dinner. We chose a italian dive that ended up being great! We then headed back to the hotel room for some rest before our big day!

On Monday morning bright and early we got up and headed downstair for breakfast and to wait on the hospital shuttle. The hotel we were staying at offered a free shuttle to and from the hospital which was great. It saved us on parking! My appointment was at 0830 for registration and at 1000 with Dr. Fanale. I got registered and had blood work done and waited for the doctor.

Dr. Fanale was a nice doctor. She was very knowledgable and easy to talk to. She reviewed my history and asked questions. She then told us of her plan and we told her of Dr. Forero's plan. They were both great for Relapsed/Refractory Hodgkin's. Both with different thinking behind them. She totally agreed with Dr. Foreros plan and decided to give him a call to discuss what the best plan would be for my treatment. Mark and I had lunch and then returned to finish our appointment.

After speaking with Dr. Forero, Dr. Fanale told us that she agreed with his plan and we could definitely continue treatment at UAB. She also told us that if I didn't respond to this treatment or if I made it to auto transplant and relapsed again to come back. She said that there are clinical trials that she could offer me if that happened. Dr. Fanale spoke very highly of Dr. Forero. They are collegues and actually worked together on the clinical trial for the treatment I will be recieving before it was approved by the FDA in August 2011. Yes, very recent!

So, I guess you're wondering what the treatment plan is. Well, tomorrow October 17th, I will begin my first treatment of the drug SGN-35. It is an infusion that will last over 30 minutes. It is a target specific drug for cancer cells by identifying certain proteins and antibodies on the cancer cells. Therefore, sparing healthy cells. It's main side effect is peripheral neuropathy and fatigue.

I will undergo 4 cycles of this medicine. One dose every 3 weeks times 4 doses. I will have a PET scan between doses 3 and 4 to see if its working. It is said to be the best drug for Hodgkin's at the present time especially for Relapsed/Refractory. If I achieve a Complete Remission or near Complete Remission, I will head to the Autologous transplant as planned before. After the transplant, I will have Radiation.

I have high hopes for this drug and actually have a good feeling about it. Please everyone pray for my family and for God to bless the doctors and medicine. Ultimately he is the Great Physician and the healer. I ask everyone to please pray, pray hard. I thank you all in advance. Much love!
Shrimp Po Boy for lunch in LA
Yummy Texas Waffle for Breakfast
Louisiana State Line

Mississippi State Line


Texas State Line

No comments:

Post a Comment